A secondary school teacher has been awarded damages following a severe bout of gastric illness sustained during her holiday at a Turkish hotel.
The 38 year-old, who was pregnant at the time, was staying with her family at the Club Julian Hotel, Marmaris, on an all-inclusive board basis.
Doctors later discovered her illness was related to the parasite Cryptosporidium, which is frequently found in dirty swimming pool water and has been known to cause fatal disease.
"Poor food and water hygiene standards at the hotel were to blame, particularly in the swimming pool," Simpson Millar LLP's James Blower said. "At no time did our client eat out of the hotel complex during her entire stay."
Our client became ill just 5 days into her fortnight's holiday, which meant most of her break was completely ruined for her and the family.
"She initially suffered with severe stomach cramps, diarrhoea and occasional vomiting and she noticed blood in her diarrhoea," explained James. "Because of her pregnancy, this was very worrying.
"The illness continued for the remainder of the holiday and on her return to the UK, by which time she was still experiencing diarrhoea and stomach cramps.
Highlights the seriousness of the gastric infections that can be picked up at all-inclusive hotels if the health and hygiene standards are very poor.
"Concerned for her baby, our client contacted her antenatal clinic and was admitted to hospital as she was severely dehydrated. She was given several litres of fluid."
A stool sample revealed the presence of Cryptosporidium, which would normally be treated with antibiotics.
"However, being with child she was unable to take such medication, and she was advised to ride it out," James said. "She was again admitted to hospital to monitor her heart rate and she was given a heart monitor.
Deemed 'high risk', our client was forced to give birth in the hospital when she had hoped for a delivery at home.
James noted that the hotel had been booked directly by the client using her credit card. The client was therefore unable to sue any tour operator as the holiday was not a package. She could, however, sue the credit card company – in this case Barclaycard – and bring a claim against them under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
James added that the claimant was very upset that her holiday had been spoiled and over the worry that the illness had caused her during her pregnancy.
"She was on a family break and it is an example to others that these types of illnesses can strike any holiday.
"It also highlights the seriousness of the gastric infections that can be picked up at all-inclusive hotels if the health and hygiene standards are very poor, as they clearly were in this instance."
"A great amount of stress was caused for her whilst she was pregnant," James concluded. "The settlement of £4,500 went some way to compensating her for the spoilt holiday and what she has had to endure."
Once settlement was agreed, our client said she was very pleased with the successful outcome and thanked James for his hard work.
Our team of legal specialists are ready to speak to you about your holiday complaint. Call us free on 0808 145 1353 or complete our quick enquiry form now.